Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Dark Side of the Internet: Web Hoaxes!


The internet is an amazing resource. At my fingertips I can find information on virtually any topic. As an undergraduate I remember spending hours at the library just to have access to encyclopedias, magazines, academic journals, out-of-state phonebooks, etc. Then just before I graduated the World Wide Web came online, and the world hasn't been the same since.


Of course, there is the darker side of the internet. Yes, I'm talking about internet hoaxes and urban legends! I can't count how many emails I've received about how rich Microsoft's new email-tracking beta can make me or how spiders lurking under toilet seats were a terrible threat.


Several months ago I received one amusing one alleging that the Quran contained a prophecy (in chapter 9 verse 11, no less) stating that when Islam turned to fight against the Eagle its wrath would be felt throughout the lands of Allah. Never mind that this presupposes that the Quran contains true prophecies, something most Christians would be loathe to admit. Since I actually know something about the Quranand Islam, I knew the claim was ludicrous, so I looked up the actual verse and passed it back to my well-meaning sender with a polite reminder to not believe everything you are told.


In fact, I do this somewhat regularly. And the internet makes it all possible. I type in a few key words from whatever hoax has found its way to my mailbox into Google and out pops the real story. There are great sites like Truth or Fiction and Snopes, just to name a few, which are the Mythbusters of the web.


Well, apparently in spite of my cynicism for incredible claims I too am fallible. Last week I received a newsletter in the mail (regular, old fashioned snail mail, so my guard was down) from my mortgage broker. One of the columns offered seemingly helpful hints on how to maximize your money when pumping gas. With gas flirting with $4 a gallon, I was all ears (or eyes, as it were). So yesterday, as my wife and I stopped to fill up with gas I shared my newfound wisdom with her and she dared to disbelieve it. I told her I would "check my sources" and if wrong, I would put it in my blog.


So here I am, eating crow. The information is here. Technically, some of the tips might save money, but we're talking about pennies. Over time. Pennies are good things, but not enough to go seriously out of my way. Similarly I'm not going to drive six inches behind a semi in order to cut down my car's drag. Dollars I can get excited about. But not pennies. So Honey, you were right, and I was . . . er. . . mistaken. (We're both first-borns, so admitting this is a real sacrifice.)

3 comments:

annette said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Ha!

I chuckled immediatly when I read your title. Perfect topic! Imagine my surprise when I got to the end and discovered the reason for the post. (How does the crow taste? =) )

Farscaper said...

I know EXACTLY what article you're talking about. My sis-in-law loves to pass on all sorts of crazy stories. For this reason I am a regular visitor to Snopes. I like to turn around and immediately tell her what's really up.

I guess... deep down.. I must secretly love to burst her bubble. [evil]LOL

The other day... I was gassing up and I immediately thought "Oh NO!!! The truck is refilling the tanks. I must go away and come back later (whe I have to push the van because I ran out of gas) so I don't take the chance of getting bad gas." Or... "Oh no, it's 3:00 in the afternoon - it's too hot to gas up..." blah blah blah

I totally agree. The internet is the best thing and the worst at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud -- to think that you are able to admit when you are "mistaken" and yet, I find it hard to believe that you ever are! By the way, I don't know to which tips you are referring but all you have to do is drive more slowly and you will SAVE -- so if you leave a little earlier for the airport, you can drive in the right hand lane --- so they tell me on KSL --- and you can get more bang for your buck.