Sunday, July 20, 2008

Beware of Dressing in the Dark


About once each week I commute to Atlanta from Utah to go to work. The night before I pack and set out my uniform for the next morning. Since I usually get up at 3:30 to catch the 6:00 flight, I like to be as efficient as possible in the morning.

This past week, as usual, I reached into my closet to grab my pants. Since I have several pairs of black pants I felt for the right pair by the material. Finding the pair I wanted, I then hung them in the bathroom.

The next morning--if 3:30 can really be called morning--I got up and groggily dressed. Truth be told, the light was on, but I wasn't thinking especially clearly. I do remember noticing that the right rear pocket was buttoned closed, which I hadn't remembered doing. That was a warning sign but I didn't take heed.

After dressing I loaded my suitcase in the car and drove to the airport where I caught my flight to Atlanta. I still hadn't noticed anything. Once in Atlanta I found that I had nothing scheduled for that day so I proceeded on to my "crash pad" apartment, where I ate and then took a nap. Before lying down I undressed, still not noticing anything amiss. Can you say "fatigued?"

It wasn't until the next morning when I was about to leave to catch the bus back to the airport that I realized that not only were the pants I was wearing not my uniform pants, they were not even black. The were navy blue. And pleated. Both no-nos.



I hadn't packed a second pair of pants, so I scrambled about looking for options. At this point I saw that my roommate (who was still in Utah) had a pair of uniform pants hanging up. I reasoned that they would probably fit, although he is shorter and a little stouter than I am. This was an emergency, after all. They did fit, Not particularly well, but well enough.

Riding to the airport I hoped he would be understanding. As it was about 6:30 in the morning in Utah, I elected not to call him to ask for permission. But the more I thought about it the more concerned I was. What if he got to the crash pad expecting to use those pants and found them gone?

Fortunately Crew Outfitters, one of the uniform stores, has a branch location right in the ASA operations center at the airport. I happily arrived at the airport with a half hour to spare and marched right in, finding pants in just the right size. The only downside? Then were not hemmed. It didn't matter. I bought them and then tried doing a quick hem job myself. The results were worse than bad. I then tried safety pins with greater success. I then placed my roommates pants in his mailbox (and later called him to explain why his pants were there).

So for three days I wore unhemmed pants. But they were black. And not pleated.

When I return to Atlanta in a couple of days I will bring a backup pair of pants and a uniform shirt as well. You just never know when you may need it. Or why.

7 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Ugh, just hearing about this makes me feel tired and bad for you too.

Glad you were able to pull out some of those MacGyver skills.

annette said...

You were up so early, at least you remembered your pants!

Brian -n- Laura said...

Bro, I can remember when I was in the MTC and got dressed in the dark too. I received a lot of looks which I did not take note of, until we arrived at the classroom and a class member called out my name and commented on my clothing choice. Looking down I realized that I had put on a green jacket while I was wearing navy blue pants. I was more careful after that when I got dressed "in the dark."

Farscaper said...

Look on the bright side... your clothes were on - right side out and they were not ripped, stained or smelly, etc... (talk to my husband on his choice of clothing)

He has grabbed without looking a few times. Not a pretty sight.

Anonymous said...

----the third times the charm - I know it!!!!! (that's for me trying to submit a comment). Anyway, next time use tape - they have actual hemming tape for just that kind of emergency!!! Sounds like a lesson well learned -- and it sounds like you and your "bro" are just a little bit related, but perhaps it all stems from Uncle Ron who wore one black sock and one white sock with his tux when his "bro" was getting married!!!!

Panama Jones said...

teachinfifth: Yeah, me and MacGyver go way back.

annette: It can always be worse.

bri: Thanks for doing it first.

farscaper: At church I'm accustomed to spit-up, drool, snot or other body fluids on my clothes, but I try and keep my uniform clean.

maplemom: Hemming tape would be more useful if I actually had some, but since I don't have Mary Poppin's bag, I have elected to leave it out of my suitcase.

Anonymous said...

OK - so I can see I still have some "training" to do ---- I learned to carry any/everything I could ever hope to need when I was "flying" -- we need to outfit your flight bag, I can see that! Time for me to get busy and creative if not just downright practical! I know you can hardly wait!!!!