Friday, September 26, 2008

Exercise


When I started training as a pilot last year I could see by looking at the pilots I knew that it isn’t the healthiest lifestyle. For obvious reasons it involves a lot of sitting as well as eating out. While hardly “overweight” (I’ve always been skinny) I was not in my best shape and was starting to develop a bit of a belly. Given that my wife likes me skinny, it was important for me to establish some basic habits early in my new career.

Back in high school I ran cross-country and track and have always “enjoyed” running. I put that in parentheses because it’s not as if I can’t wait to jump out the door and sprint. But I do like changing scenery and it’s something I’ve done with my family since I was a kid.

So I started running. After a few times I found a route about two miles long and that worked. I also threw in some push-ups and sit-ups. After a couple of months I had lost ten pounds and instead of my pants being too tight now I had to worry about them being too loose. Part of it was definitely the exercise, and part was eating less. Frozen dinners (no, not TV dinners—I do have standards) are only so big and don’t allow for second helpings, so that helped to limit my calorie intake. All in all I looked and felt better than I had in a couple of years or more.

Meanwhile my wife has been going to 24 Hour Fitness and so she added me to her pas as a “VIP,” meaning as long as I accompanied her it only cost another $15 per month. We try and go every week together so I get a little bit of weights, etc.

Now that I’m out of training I run around my “crash pad” apartment and around the hotels I stay at when I’m on the road. I still do push-ups regularly, but sit-ups fell by the wayside because they always strained my back.

Then yesterday I googled “abdominal exercise” and found out that the very best exercise also requires no equipment. Good, because I wasn’t going to buy any. It’s called the “bicycle crunch,” something you may all be aware of but new to me. Not radically new, but new. And it doesn’t strain my back but does work my abs hard. So I’m happy and have re-committed myself to doing a set or two every day. I can spare 10 minutes.

Did I mention my wife likes me skinny? She’s a great motivator, in all the right ways.

3 comments:

annette said...

I wouldn't say so much "skinny" as "in shape" and "firm". Skinny seems to indicate scrawny, whereas in shape and firm indicate buff, hot, easy on the eyes... you get the idea ;)

And, I must say, with all of this exercise you're "lookin' good"!

Panama Jones said...

Yes, but I didn't want to claim I was "in shape and firm. . . buff, hot, easy on the eyes." That's for you to say. Not that I mind hearling it. I suppose I could have said toned, fit or trim. Those all fit better than skinny, I agree.

Anonymous said...

Words, words, words..... you are great the way you are!!! Please let me know about your bicycle crunch -- I hope it's easy!!!!!