Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lazy Days


I tend to blog when I’m away on trips, but the last three months those have been sparse. November and December I was on “long-call reserve” which came with the blessing of a 12-hour call out. I took the risk of staying at home, trusting that if and when the scheduling department called I would be able to get to Atlanta in time.
In November, including my annual four-day training, I worked a total of 13 days, with 17 days off. To put that in perspective, as a reserve pilot I am only guaranteed 11 days off each month, but without the need of being in Atlanta I was able to enhance that somewhat. Of course, that necessitated that I was glued to my cell phone in case Scheduling called, plus the panic that I might not be able to make the next flight out, but that was vitiated by the extra time at home.
In December I only worked 8 days, including two days for my annual “proficiency check,” you know, to see if I could still fly an airplane to company standards. That was stressful, but I successfully passed and learned a thing or two, to boot. But the net result was that I was home for an amazing 23 days, including Christmas!

Then in January I scored a “line.” I was no longer on reserve. I had a regular schedule! That earned me a minimum of 12 days off, but I also had a week of paid vacation as well, so this month I am only working 14 days, with 17 total days off. Not bad!

But then reality checks back in. With the deteriorating economy, my airline determined that it needed to furlough 80 pilots. Fortunately for me, I was not one of them, but it eroded my seniority. This, compounded by the fact that the company created 50 fewer “lines” for February meant that not only will I be back on reserve next month but I will also be back on “short call,” necessitating my presence in Atlanta. Back to 11 days at home.

But on the other hand, I should have a lot more time to blog and read everyone’s blog. So for those of you who check in from time to time to see if I’ve posted anything new, well, there’s a pretty good chance that I’ll be back on my weekly schedule next month. See, there’s always a sliver lining somewhere!

4 comments:

Annette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annette said...

I know. I am the only one not ecstatic about this. I mean, reading your posts is one thing, but having you home... well you see my point? ;)

Annette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Farscaper said...

I'm glad to hear that you were not in the large group of pilots put on hold or let go. What a stressful position for those guys.

For every day you have a job... count your blessings. Especially if you get a paycheck in a timely basis.