Sunday, May 24, 2009

Two or Three Witnesses


Yesterday morning I was driving to the Atlanta airport to catch my 7:15 flight home. I had checked on the computer the night before and saw that there were plenty of seats and I looked forward to a relaxed commute home. Well, fairly relaxed. I would have to make a connection in Denver, since the nonstop to Salt Lake City was pretty full with lots of other people like me on the standby list for whatever few seats were available. But I would get home by noon, which was the important part.

So while driving I called up the airline to reserve the “jumpseat”—the extra observation seat that every airliner has in the cockpit. Nearly every U.S. airline has agreements in place so that a pilot from any of the participating airlines can ride up front (or in back if there are empty seats) on any of the participating airlines. This has gotten me home at least a third of the time and is invaluable. Anyway, in process of making the reservation I discovered much to my dismay that the flight actually was departing at 6:30, not 7:15. Was the website wrong? I recalled that another website showed the flight leaving at 6:30, but since the company’s website showed 7:15, I assumed (take note of that word) that the company’s website was correct.

Panic struck me as I drove to the ASA parking lot. By my calculations, if I was lucky I would arrive at the terminal at 6:15. Maybe I could still make it. The bus made good time, and after an agonizing 60 second delay waiting for an airplane to get out of the way. At 6:16 I got out of the bus, ran for a jet bridge (remember, I’m outside with the airplanes), hiked up the stairs, entered the terminal and sprinted for the gate. I got there at 6:19 (gate agents try to close the door at ten minutes prior). I made it! Success!

Except the flight was full, and although I had reserved the jumpseat I hadn’t been there early enough to claim it. Three other pilots were in front of me. Failure! Doom!

Now when would I get home? Well, to make a long story short, the next flight I could reasonably try was the nonstop to Salt Lake City, and while the airplane was full, I was first in line for the jumpseat. I got home by noon, and all was well.

I felt very blessed yesterday, in spite of my initial bad luck. I also learned (re-learned) an important lesson: if something doesn’t seem right, like two websites disagreeing about when a flight was scheduled to leave, then the only smart thing to do is to dig deeper until you find out which one is correct. What I had inadvertently done is mix up the 7:15PM flight with the 6:30AM flight. The second website wasn’t wrong, nor was the airline’s website. What was in error was my perception, my interpretation.

The scriptures teach this point: “In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.” (2 Corinthians 13:1) This isn’t just a spiritual principle, but a practical day-by-day one as well. And I need to assume a whole lot less.

4 comments:

annette said...

I find it interesting to that you found a new example, a tangable example, of how 2-3 witnesses can apply to our lives. I "assume" that is an experience that you too soon will not forget!

Teachinfourth said...

Just glad that you were able to make it back without getting quashed by the incoming and departing airplanes.

Agostino Fiorentino said...

Be damn if i can remember i, it's been a while since i last messed around with any of that i business

Blogger.jinbo said...

May late spring season, the sky is a very cool look very high, with several flower rickety clouds in the far days, accompanied by bursts of violent and chaotic wind. Thinking about this spring

day afternoon, the sun through the Indus or poplar face mottled, curled up on the couch, holding a roll in hand to follow the ancients, read and do not read it does not matter, only that

Chunyang warm fragrant spring breeze of the melt, should people indulge it. Such a kind of thinking have the urge to get up and go outside, but it is work time, I,

I can only get up to their Daobei Cha. Pick just a few grains to take over the Kudingcha friends, put the teapot, rinse them and then open the lid of tea actually see is several

and tender Green attach white tea pot, There is a Yingyingchaochuo feel like a slowly flooding the story came from the ancient far-ranging.
ancient,best clothes blog, there fbird. Ancient, should have the peace of the thatched cottages, endless and tender green, or have a quiet murmur of the river, one Wang

calm waters, reflecting the clouds, one has one. I am today, stare staring Tracy's Kudingcha hand that back to the patch of the original,

remote villages that come ... ...
looked up looking out the window, watching a raging wind that the clouds,cheap handbags, there is no one, is approaching it from the ancient times, through the pre-Qin, through the Northern Wei Dynasty, there

Tang Song Ming and Qing, wandering drift , In little, natural, random, only learned, is not it also with Weizui? And then staggered to this day, put even

What are forgotten. Not pleased to see Chunhua brilliant,Ed Hardy Clothes, not melancholy to see the grass; dry, Xu is looking more vicissitudes, the promise is always aware of lonely years

were long, the hour is always blooming too short. So, how wind, sun what are both, actually from wandering in the sky between!
wrote here was his laugh, sometimes I was so nebulous, thin clouds drunk to write the title, wanted to say a school to learn the sky and clouds

Duo , unrestrained in the sky any time I travel,cheap women's nike shoes, the best and then take a little drunk, do not think they can not, alone, danced, drunk. I do not know how to think of the ancient paintings

surface, perhaps because the idea has always been a go back, back to the ancient Tang and Song is not better than the back, not more pure, natural?
Now I Thinking again, in fact, clouds, perhaps thinking about what to learn tea, hide Tracy's brilliant, just to wait with water ... ... but also maybe. Flow

cloud like himself like that perhaps, natural, random, only learned, not afraid to like tea, cool, not afraid of water like tea, like,chi straightener, one day tasteless. Who

know? Anyway, this moment I do not know if the clouds do a good thin drunk, or do I have better.